If you’re looking for a way to imrove your home’s outdoor space, consider building a backyard seating wall. Seating walls can provide additional seating for outdoor entertaining, and they can also be used to create definition in your yard. Plus, they’re relatively easy and inexpensive to build yourself!
What is a backyard seating wall?
A seat wall is a short wall, typically 3-4 feet tall, that is used for seating in an outdoor space. Seat walls are commonly made of concrete, stone, or brick, and they can be built to match the existing materials in your yard.
Why build a backyard seating wall?
There are many reasons to build a backyard seating wall. In addition to providing extra seating for your outdoor living spaces, a backyard seating wall can also:
- Create a visual barrier between your property and your neighbor’s
- Add privacy to your outdoor living design space
- Enhance the look of your outdoor space
- Double duty as a planter or raised garden bed
How to build a backyard seating wall
Building a backyard seating wall is a relatively easy DIY project. To build your own backyard seating wall, you will need:
- concrete blocks
- mortar mix
- string line or chalk line
- garden hose
1. Choose a location for your seating wall. An ideal location for a seating wall is along the perimeter of your outdoor living space. This will create a visual barrier between your property and your neighbors while still providing ample seating for your guests.
2. Select the type of concrete block you would like to use. There are different types and sizes of concrete blocks available, so be sure to select the ones that best fit your needs.
3. Prepare the area where you will be building the seating wall. This includes clearing any debris from the area and making sure the ground is level.
4. Use a string line or chalk line to mark the perimeter of the seating wall. This will help you keep the blocks in line as you build.
5. To begin building the wall, start with mortar mix to the back of the first block. Then, place the block in its desired location and use a level to make sure it is level with the ground. Repeat this process for each block until the wall is complete.
6. Once the wall is built, use a garden hose to wet down the blocks. This will help the mortar set and cure properly.
7. Allow the wall to cure for 24 hours before using it. Once it is cured, you can then add any finishing touches, such as painting or staining the blocks.
Building a backyard seating wall is a relatively simple process, and can be completed in just a few weekends with some basic tools and materials. By following these steps, you can add extra seating and privacy to your outdoor space without breaking the bank.
Patio seating walls to improve your home outdoor space
Having a patio seating wall in your backyard is a great way to improve your home’s outdoor space in several ways. It can serve as extra seating when you have guests over, it can help to create privacy if your backyard is close to your neighbor’s, it can support climbing plants, and it can also simply enhance the look of your backyard.
Consider the Seat Wall Height
When planning the height of your patio seating wall, you will want to take into account the following:
- The height of the chairs or benches that will be placed against the wall
- The height of the people who will be using the chairs or benches
- Whether or not you want the wall to be tall enough to support climbers
A general rule of thumb is that the wall should be about 18 inches taller than the tallest person who will be using it. This will ensure that everyone has enough headroom and that the wall is tall enough to support climbers if desired.
You can seek advice from landscape architects, or other experts, to help you determine the best height for your patio seating wall and other aspects of your backyard design.
Fire pit for patio
If you’re looking to add a patio seating wall to your backyard, one great option is to include a fire pit. This will create a cozy and inviting space for you and your guests to enjoy. There are different types of fire pits available on the market, so be sure to select one that best fits your needs. A square fire pit is a popular option, as it can easily accommodate multiple people.
In general, you will want to choose a fire pit that is made from materials that can withstand high temperatures. Brick, stone, and metal are all good options. You will also want to make sure that the fire pit is properly vented so that smoke and fumes can escape.
When selecting a location for your fire pit, you will want to make sure that it is at least 10 feet away from your house and any other structures. You will also want to Avoid placing it under trees, as falling embers could start a fire.
Built-in seating or tiered seating
If you have the space, built-in seating or tiered seating is a great option for a backyard patio. This type of seating can be made from a variety of materials, such as concrete, stone, or brick. It is important to make sure that the materials you select can withstand the elements and will not deteriorate over time.
If you have a small space in your backyard, you can still include a patio seating wall by opting for built-in or tiered seating. This type of seating takes up less space than traditional chairs or benches, and it can still accommodate multiple people.